Friday 17 February 2012

World's Strictest Parent

After watching this episode of the reality TV show, “World’s Strictest Parent” on reforming dysfunctional children, I now have a better picture of how the world views contemporary versus traditional parenting.  Two children who had been brought up in typically contemporary parenting homes were brought into a strict household of large size and many rules. The two unruly teenagers were to be reformed in some way within a week’s time. They were to learn how to be more respectful towards authority figures, what it looks like to be in a 'normal' and well-functioning home, and more. The show gave the impression that contemporary parenting has more negative effects on a child’s upbringing then traditional parenting does.
My first thoughts before watching the episode were quite analytical. My predictions were not true. I thought I would be categorized as one who had grown up in a traditional home. I stood corrected. According to the movie a traditional home is very rigid with rules, chores, and discipline. The contemporary home was seen to be dysfunctional with few to no rules enforced, liberties of all sort and parental guidance lacked. The parents took on different roles in each of the different homes. The traditional parent was one with higher authority and leadership roles; whereas, the contemporary parent seemed to desire a friendship with their children making it very hard for them to attain higher author and leadership.
Looking back, I believe I grew up (and my parents continue with this method of parenting) with a healthy balance between the two approaches to parenting. My siblings and I built a friendship with our parents while we also held great respect for them.
I believe that a healthy balance of traditional and contemporary parenting skills need to be used during the upbringing of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment