Tuesday 27 March 2012

The Filter Model - My Parents

My parents... are a match made in heaven! They are very perfect for each other and their story of getting together romances me.

As Professor Nellis suggested using a couple that we know to relate to the discussion in class today, I chose my parents. The filter model that was uncovered as a series of macro societal influences shows who probable it is to 'hook up' with one's soul mate.

Working through the filter: Mom and Dad
1. Pool of Eligibles: The entire world (6 billion people)
2. Gender Preference: My parents both had the entire world's population divided into two as they were not attracted nor wanting to marry the same sex due to faith based principles. (3 billion people)
3. Propriniquity and Sex Ratio: My dad was born and raised in Holland until age 9. Then his family (8 children and his mom and dad) moved to the Canada and then moved to the United States. My dad moved to Alberta after finishing 7 years in the military over seas and in Canada. Mean while.... My mom was born and raised in Red Deer, Alberta. She eventually moved to Edmonton for school and work. Edmonton has a relatively equal ratio of men and women living in the city.
4. Endogamy: My mom and dad met in Edmonton at a church they were both attending at the time.
5. Homogamy: My mom tells me that she was attracted to my dad mostly because he can relate to her so easy. They both share the same faith, their morals are all attributed from the same origin, they are both from Dutch decadence or from Holland.
6. Value and Role Similarities: Very similar to their homogamy, they both share the same faith. This is what they base their foundation of marriage upon. They both have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This develops an even deeper relationship between them then the average couple cause they are able to have trust in the One who has authority over their lives while remaining committed to each other.
7. Cohabitation: My mom and dad got married before living together. They will be celebrating their 22nd wedding anniversary this June (2012). I truly believe that their marriage will last their entire life times.

No comments:

Post a Comment